Friday, December 07, 2007

Nokia Wireless Keyboard SU-8W

I've wanted to get a nice bluetooth keyboard for some time now, not long after I purchased my 770 Internet Tablet in fact, and I finally got one. I decided on the Nokia Wireless Keyboard (SU-8W) and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. The size of the keyboard is much smaller than I expected, but not so small as to make me feel like a giant. So far I'm getting the hang of the smallness of the keys. I also noticed that the keys are in a slightly awkward position than what I'm used to.

12.07.2007 12.07.2007

I seem to be making many more mistakes at first than with a full size keyboard. It takes some getting used to, but I think this is significantly faster than using T9 on the N95, but about the same as the thumb keyboard for the tablet. And although the built-in adjustable stand is a welcome feature, my left hand gets in the way quite a bit. Other than those minor quirks, the keyboard works very well for hammering out large amounts of text. Pairing with the N95 was a breeze, and it also works great with the 770 Internet Tablet using the Maemo Bluetooth Connectivity Plugin.

12.07.2007 12.07.2007

I especially like the standard S60 menu, Messaging, and option keys. Those are great and will be used a lot when paired with the N95. the connection range is quite good, and have yet to get any errors telling me that the connection was broken. Battery life seems good so far, but then again, I've only been using it for a few days now. It slides around a little, which is annoying, but I can deal with that. I do wish there was a locking mechanism to keep the keyboard rigid when open. As it stands, the board naturally wants to fold in the middle while on uneven surfaces such as a person's lap. But that's easily corrected by having a book, folder, or hardcover notebook under it for support.

12.07.2007 12.07.2007

It will definitely serve its purpose for some time alongside my mobile devices. And I wish there was a simple battery life indicator, but I can expect to buy lots of AAA batteries anyways as there are a few other devices of mine that use them also. I still wonder why there hasn't been much interest in developing bluetooth mouse or game pad functionality for S60 phones and mobile devices in general.

12.07.2007

The SU-8W wireless keyboard is a great accessory to Nokia phones and Internet Tablets alike, and I'm glad to have it for times like these when using just the thumbs won't cut it. Of course this post was typed using the keyboard, build quality is excellent, and should last a very long time. It's great to finally be able to fold up and go at a moment's notice.

1 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Basit said...

Yeah, its an interesting device, but my keyboard stopped behaving 2 weeks after I purchased it. The left half of the keyboard is not working now. I took it to local nokia repairs but they dont know heck about the keyboards. All they know are the handsets and their repair. I believe thats a big negative about the device.


By the way, if anyone of you have one of this broken keyboard, I may need some parts from you (possibly a cable) so that my half of the keyboard starts working.

And if anyone can help me get this repaired, I'll be a happy man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home