Thursday, May 31, 2007

Palm Foleo To Flop


I know that's a pretty harsh statement, but apparently I'm not the only one of this opinion. Jonathan Greene and Fabrizio Capobianco were pretty disappointed with the new mobile companion device, and it's probably not a good sign when the Palm founder sells 15,000 shares of company stock just before the device was officially shown.

My personal gripes with the device are that it just doesn't scream innovation, something Palm originally had and lost a long time ago. My hopes were that this device would be the rebirth of that creative spirit Palm once had in its early days. And no matter how much Palm dives into Linux and Open Source, a product like this just isn't what most people really need or even want. It's too large, too expensive, and underpowered. If there was an opposite to what Internet Tablets attempt to offer, the Palm Foleo would be it. My message to Palm; Try again and try harder, much harder.

2 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first thought when I saw the announcement - "What? A smartphone companion? I think that already exists and is called a laptop."

Fix your BT stack issues FIRST (after we all have waited a year) on your PDAs and then introduce your too little, too late device.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Derek_Coleman said...

Yeah, this is definitely a "What the heck are you thinking?!" device. Being mobile is about smaller, not larger. Cheaper, not more expensive. And as much functionality as possible in the darn thing, not less.

Looks like a poor attempt by Palm to be more like Apple than anything else I can come up with.

As for the Bluetooth issue, seems like a lot of BT enabled devices have their problems in one area or another. So much for standards I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home