Thursday, September 06, 2007

How Touching

Sometimes I scare myself. Back in January I wrote up a post about this year being the year touchscreens would make a big splash in the mobile space. Well, I was right. Many companies have shown off their touchscreen concepts (such as the one from Nokia) as well as official and available devices. Now the iPod Touch has been announced, and things are getting really interesting. We all know that competition drives innovation, and prices start to fall like rain at a point, but there's still a little time before the biggest holidays of the year for other developments from other companies to arrive on the scene.

As for the iPod Touch itself, it's a nice device and will sell very very well, but it's not quite what I'm in the market for at the moment. My Nokia 770 still suits my needs just fine, and if the iPod Touch is what it takes to get Nokia to improve its mobile offerings a little, all the better for the consumer. I've never been a big fan of iPod or Apple, but they sure are making it harder and harder for people like me not to cross over to that world.

4 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger James said...

Great site! I'll be back daily from now on.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Derek_Coleman said...

Thanks James! I try to add a little something to the Interweb every now and again. :) Enjoy.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger James said...

When you think about it, a big touch screen is really only way to go for multipurpose devices like the iPod and iPhone. it's like a having a blank slate, Apple can radically alter the user experience overnight with a simply update via iTunes.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Derek_Coleman said...

True, and I think we'll see tons more mobile devices incorporate touch interfaces from here on. There really is so much more you can archive with this sort of technology, and multi-touch, touch feedback, and a combo of other useful concepts are the logical next steps in the evolution of mobile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home