Friday, November 03, 2006

A Little Faster, More Stable

Depending on who you ask, the new OS update for the 770 Internet Tablet that was announced yesterday was either full of much needed improvements and features or not worth the trouble of updating to. I probably come in closer to the "why bother" side of the group, but I'm also part of the group of users that have to test the latest software. That said, I updated and after some time working and testing some use cases that in the past caused the web browser to unexpectedly crash or the device to reboot, I noticed it never crashed once the whole time. I even turned the extended virtual memory feature off and everything was still just as fast until I had more than three windows open or surfed through a dozen sites.

The overall performance of the built-in software is definitely more stable than before as well. The release notes describe some other features that claim to have been improved such as WLAN and Bluetooth connectivity, but I couldn't really tell much of a difference. Probably the biggest addition is the capability to use 2GB memory. The hand-writing recognition is also a lot better than it used to be, but I never really used that feature much either.

For people who want the most out of the 770, no matter how small the improvements are, this update is nice to have. For people who are easily disappointed by small improvements that aren't very noticeable, this update may not be worth it. Personally, I think it's good to have, but I'm kind of disappointed that the flash player still hasn't been upgraded or that we still don't have Java running on this device. Oh well, maybe in the next update.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home